Seriously...

This blog is my way of coming to terms with my own issues with depression. If you are experiencing signs of depression or are thinking of hurting yourself, PLEASE seek professional help. You can talk to someone at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or 1-800-784-2433. There is a TTY line at 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The MOHS nose Part II

I look back at that oh-so-innocent post from December 12th and realize I had no idea what I was in for! "Layers" is the term used in all the MOHS literature, but it is misleading at best. I had a hole in my nose the size of a dime and at least as deep as a nickel. I was utterly unprepared for the 5-hour procedure. Multiple shots of anesthesia to my face. A hole in my nose. A flap procedure to close the hole that left me looking vaguely Frankenstein-esque. A little more than three weeks post-op, I can put it all in perspective. I have healed well, and most of the people I have seen claim not to notice a difference. I notice it. I see myself in the mirror every day. I see the scar. I see the subtle changes to the landscape of my nose. But I also see that there is no cancer present. I have my nose--well, most of it--as it was. In three weeks, I have traversed an emotional minefield. I am thankful it is over and that there is only more healing to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment