Seriously...

This blog is my way of coming to terms with my own issues with depression. If you are experiencing signs of depression or are thinking of hurting yourself, PLEASE seek professional help. You can talk to someone at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or 1-800-784-2433. There is a TTY line at 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Coulda Shoulda Woulda

One of my biggest challenges is dealing with the "shoulds". My therapist calls it "shoulding on yourself". I consider myself to be lazy and uninspired. Therefore, I berate myself constantly with all the things I should be to alter this self-perception. I should be energetic. I should tackle a room and clean it thoroughly. I should volunteer. Sometimes, I have difficulty making a simple phone call or appointment. I haven't had a haircut or color since July. I haven't had an adjustment in three weeks. Granted, both activities had to be postponed following surgery, but I've been able to reschedule for over a week now. I can't even muster the wherewithal (I don't know what else to call it) to pick up the phone to do something that might make me feel good. I am perfectly content to sit at home. If someone would give me permission to do just that and take away this guilt, I would be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment