Seriously...

This blog is my way of coming to terms with my own issues with depression. If you are experiencing signs of depression or are thinking of hurting yourself, PLEASE seek professional help. You can talk to someone at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or 1-800-784-2433. There is a TTY line at 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) for the Deaf and hard-of-hearing.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Be Snazzy!

Okay, by my count it is day two of the New Year's resolution program. I didn't start on Saturday January 1st because, well, it was Saturday for goodness sake! Who starts self-improvement plans on the weekend? Day two and I have managed to keep my resolutions. I worked out yesterday and today, and I have done writing practices daily. The hardest part of resolutions is trying not to stress out about them. I play a pretty good game of 'What if?' with myself. What if I get sick? What if I miss a day? What if I lose my momentum? It's as if my own brain wants to derail my efforts at being fitter and more productive. When I feel myself entering a crisis of the mind like this, I have only my cognitive behavioral therapy as back up. All these thoughts are just negative self-talk posing as real problems. It is up to me to drown those voices with snazzy comebacks. Sick? I'm not as likely to get sick now that I am exercising daily. Miss a day? Get right back in the groove the next day. Only celebrities and athletes work out every single day. Lose momentum? Not possible. I create my own momentum. Maybe these comebacks aren't exactly snazzy, but I think my therapist would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment